There is so much to learn and life and I have the rare opportunity to learn yet more. Tyler was diagnosed with Celiac which means that we are now a gluten-free family. There are so many things that are no longer options for us, but I am trying to desperately to focus what the options that are still available. This diagnosis brought me to the depths mostly because it is life-long and very unforgiving. Living without gluten is very challenging because it sneaks into everything. However, the cross contamination threat is most difficult- it means no longer using pans that have touched gluten, or the same knife in a jar of pb or jelly that may have touched gluten, or foods processed in factories that may have gluten, or placing food on a counter that had gluten. It makes eating anywhere but your own kitchen nearly impossible. Unfortunately, most everything has gluten with the exception of fruit, veggies, fresh meat, nuts, and milk.
I felt like we were sentenced for life and banished from enjoying food ever again. I felt cursed and doomed. How would Tyler ever enjoy any social setting? They are all full of banished foods?!? How can he develop a healthy esteem and be unable to eat anywhere else? How can I pack lunches? How will I find time to cook everything everyday? There is no longer instant anything. The work felt tremendous and to top it off, most gluten-free foods are so carb dense they are a nightmare for his diabetes. I felt just plain trapped.
Thankfully, those are just emotions. I have learned that sometimes we have to give our emotions some attention, otherwise they become monsters and demand attention, then look them in the eye, and tell them the truth. Most emotions are just that- emotions. Not truth. Yes, most every social function will have food that is completely off-limits for Tyler. Eating at others' homes will be nearly impossible, travelling a challenge, and eating out a rarity at best. The truth is there are still delicious foods we can eat, but we have to make them- daily. Perhaps we will be healthier for it once I find healthy ways to cook gluten free. I am just at the beginning of my learning curve, and there is much to learn, and I will continue to search. The truth is- it is possible and with God's help- doable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment