This weekend marks our year anniversary in Texas. As we boarded the plane in San Diego loaded to maximum capacity with our 4 kids, 12 carry on bags, a stroller, and snacks I wondered, had we finally lost our minds? What we were doing? Why were we leaving our family, friends, neighbors, and all of our favorite places? A small voice in the back of my head, and an even quieter one in my heart reminded me, "you are leaving because this is where you need to be."
Admitedly, the first few months were awful. It rained as we moved in and continued to rain for the entire month. I was lost everywhere I went, even with my GPS, alone without friends, homesick for good weather and just confused. Why had I dragged my kids all the way across the country? Why had I felt this was the right thing to do? It didn't feel so wonderful.
Then time passed. We moved into our home at Christmas time and the homesickness began to fade. The area became more familiar and I learned where to find the necessities and entertainment. Each of us started to make friends- in our church, school, and neighborhood. Among those friends would emerge crucial people who helped us in the crises of the next few months. A diabetic friend to give direction and clues to help Tyler. A ward family to bring meals, tend children, and give support while we were in the hospital. A celiac friend who showed up with gluten free M&M cookies and a box full of gluten free foods when Tyler was diagnosed with Celiac and I was overwhelmed. A school nurse who is very kind and extremely talented. Teachers and friends who give help so freely. I cannot help but count my blessings for I am overwhelmed with gratitude.
Yes, we are exactly where we need to be and thank heaven for heavenly direction and guidance that led us here. Our children are thriving in their schools. Our home is a comfortable and happy place to be. Our neighborhood is safe and filled with good people. Our church is overflowing with wonderful people. Of course we miss our family, but we are mostly thankful for the blessings which have flowed so freely in the short span of one year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
Hi Amy!
I just discovered your blog by "accident." I am so sorry to hear about Tyler's health challenges. I'm so grateful that he is doing better and that there are treatments available for his conditions. Your faith and strength are amazing examples to me! Please know how much you and your family are loved! We miss RB and our friends from that time.
So happy to hear that you are enjoying your Texas experience and have good friends there! Give everyone a big hug from the Cox Family!
Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Jen Cox
Jen where are you now? Send me an email or your phone I'd love to catch up!
Post a Comment